WhatsApp is a free to download messenger app. It’s available and most popular on Android and iOS smartphones, and functions by using the internet to send messages, images, audio and video. WhatsApp uses the internet to send messages so the cost of using this service costs less money than traditional texting. Location sharing and group chatting make WhatsApp popular among teenagers and younger audiences.
As of January 2015, WhatsApp is the largest online messenger app in the world. WhatsApp was acquired by Facebook in 2014 for up to $22 billion in cash and stock, in their biggest ever acquisition.
How to use WhatsApp
First, you need a compatible smartphone or tablet with an internet connection and phone number to be able to use WhatsApp. Your phone number is used by the app as your username and your account is locked to the phone. WhatsApp is free to use until you exceed one year of use, where it will then be $0.99 per year.
Features of WhatsAppWe put together a list of some useful tips you can use to improve your WhatsApp user experience.
- See when your messages are read
- In any of your chats, click and hold on any message you’ve sent and tap the info option.
- Hide your details from strangers
- Go to Settings > Privacy and change who is able to see your Last Seen, Profile Photo, and Status.
- Mute specific group chats
- To mute a specific group chat, tape on the group chat and then the name to bring up Group Info. You will have the option to mute chat for eight hours up to a year.
- Add a shortcut to your conversions
- Tap and hold on a chat and select add conversation shortcut. This will add a shortcut to this chat to your mobile home screen. This feature is only available for Android users.
- Back up your chats
- iPhone users can backup their chats to iCloud automatically on a daily, weekly, and monthly schedule. Android users go to Settings > Chats and calls and choose Chat backup. This will setup a Google Drive backup. The next time you install WhatsAPp on a different device, you can choose the Google Drive backup option to have all your chats integrated.
- Cut back on data usage
- Go to Settigns > Chat Settings > Auto-Download and select how you’d like to save incoming media. Change to Wi-Fi to cut back on data usage. You can also turn off auto-download so that you can only manually download media.
- Bookmark messages
- Double tap on a message and click the star icon to favorite it. To go back to this message, tap on the chat’s name and tap Starred Messages.
- Make calls
- Update to the latest version of WhatsApp and you will see a new Calls tab. You can send a voice call invite to other WhatsApp users this way.
- Add dates to your calendar
- Say a date like “Tomorrow”, “Today”, or a specific date and WhatsApp will automatically create a link which you can click on that brings up your calendar.
- Lower Data Usage on Calls
- Go to Settings > Chats and Calls and scroll to the bottom where you will see an option named Low Data Usage. Turn this on if you like to use WhatsApp to make calls and it will reduce the amount of data used.
To begin using WhatsApp,
Step 1: Search for WhatsApp in your download manager (Google Play, iTunes App Store, etc…)
Step 2: Select the WhatsApp application
Step 3: Choose to option to download application
Step 4: When finished download, click on the app icon
Step 5: Enter your information like phone number to setup your account
Uninstall Process (Android)
Step 1: Go to your Settings app on your device
Step 2: Choose Apps or Application Manager
Step 3: Choose the app you want to uninstall
Step 4: Choose Uninstall or Disable
Uninstall Process (iOS)
Step 1: Tap and hold the icon of the app you want to uninstall
Step 2: Click the X on the icon of the app you want to uninstall
Step 3: Confirm you’d like to delete the app
Uninstall Process (Windows Mobile)
Step 1: On Start, flick left to the App list
Step 2: Tap and hold on the app you want to uninstall
Step 3: Tap uninstall
Step 4: Confirm
– Available for most mobile operating systems
– Simple to use, nice looking interface
– Uses internet connection, which saves on data
– Allows users to send photos, video, share location and contacts, chat on groups, make calls, etc
– After first year of use, it is $0.99/year
– Blue double check is annoying for some users (although you can disable it)
– High data usage (lower this by following our tips above)Please avoid downloading this app from unverified sources. Only download from the Google Play and iTunes stores.